Photo History of Our Lady of Lourdes, Bemus Point, NY
These photos of historical events and memories from Our Lady of Lourdes Church have been shared by the Frank Walsh Family.
St. Elizabeth's Chapel was built on the corner of Main Street and Lincoln Road where it stands today. The chapel was donated to the parish by Mary Howe. The new chapel was dedicated by Bishop Duffy on October 11, 1942. Seven different priests served the parish in this little chapel over an 8 year period.
New St. Elizabeth's Chapel
A serious fire broke out in the Sacristy July 23, 1958. Everything in the church but the pews was charred and damaged by fire and water. Father Seymour, promised a new church by the following spring.
Jamestown Post Journal November 24, 1958...New church ground is broken for Our Lady of Lourdes Church. Left to right are Axel Lofgren, chairman of the parish's building committee; "Mr. Schultz", Rev. H. T. Seymour, pastor and owner of the dog, Paul Gustafson, engineer for the L.H. Ludwig Co., Inc., contractors, Falconer, and Max Heck, clerk of the works.
The new building, costing around $65,000 would have a brick face to match the old chapel. It would house the growing parish of 100 Catholic families and include seating for 240 persons.
Blueprints for the proposed new Catholic Church
Current Our Lady of Lourdes Church in Bemus Point, NY